Vegetarians get cheated at barbecues. No more! These black bean burgers are amazing. You won’t have to disinvite vegetarians from summer because they don’t eat meat.
Five-Cent Veggie Burgers
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 c black beans (cooked)
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 c bread crumbs (or so)
- Cheddar cheese
- Butter or olive oil
- Sauté onions in butter or olive oil. Add garlic.
- Add the cooked beans.
- Mash in a food processor or with an old-school potato masher.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of bread crumbs (until it’s a burger consistency).
- Form into burger patties.
- Bread with the remaining bread crumbs and fry in butter or olive oil.
- Cheddar cheese, tomato, avocado, raw onions, cilantro
FOOD FREAK OPTIONS:
- Vegan: use oil for frying and sautéing.
- Vegetarian: This one’s vegetarian
- Carnivore: See “keto.”
- Keto: Nope. You’re out of luck with the beans. But you could sub out beans for a great big slab of steak and skip the bun. That should work.
- Gluten Free: Sub out the bread crumbs. I’ve used almond flour to hold this together. Skip the bun.
COST: $ (Nearly free)