This tomato soup is delicious…but don’t count calories here!
But you can make the “light version” if you want. It’s healthy. But… not as tasty.
Heart Attack Tomato Soup
- A quart or two of canned crushed tomatoes. You can also use fresh tomatoes in season–blanch, peel, and pureé them.
- a big onion. Sweet is best!
- thyme (fresh or dried)
- salt and pepper
- a cup or two of heavy cream. Bonus points if you raised the cow.
- Melt about 1-2T of butter in a kettle.
- Sauté a diced, large onion until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, and simmer. Purée with an immersion blender or use a tomato masher to the desired level of smoothness. I leave in chunks because I’m lazy and call it “Rustic” or “Poser Homestead Special.”
- Add fresh thyme if you have it or about 1/4 teaspoon of dried. This is the spice that really makes this soup…
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Just before serving: Add heavy cream. I probably use a solid half cup or more depending on the amount of soup–I don’t measure. Healthy option: reduce cream, or you can sub milk or light cream, even half-and-half.
- Optional: Take that day-old bread on the counter and cube it up. Toss in garlic powder and salt (or any spice) and olive oil. Brown under the broiler, or bake and flip at 350-degrees. You’ve got instant croutons. Garnish the soup with these.
- Option 2: Make a bruschetta in the same spirit. Slice up your day-old bread, oil or butter both sides, dust with garlic, and put under the broiler. You can top the second size with a bit of cheese. I like gruyere for this, but mozzarella will work. Either of these cheeses is a great garnish for the soup.
COST: $-$$ If you’re using cream, it’s a a bit more expensive. But, if you grew and canned the tomatoes and onions, this is budget gourmet!
GLUTEN FREE: Yes
VEGAN: This can be vegan. Leave out the cream or swap for a cashew milk or other vegan non-flavored creamer. No one wants vanilla creamer tomato soup. Also, use vegan cheese to garnish if you want.
KETO: Tomatoes have some carbs, so you may be hitting the upper-end of your carb limit. However, make this with cream and don’t drink a gallon and you can sneak a bit in for keto or low-carb.