This week: I did some canning and also cleaned out the pantry, so I have a good solid idea of the foods we need to eat for the next month. This menu was made, but next week will be a bit of a pantry raid.
- Your choice of the following: chef-style eggs (boiled, fried, omelet), pancakes (stack in fridge or freezer), kefir, yogurt, or cereal.
- On hand every day: sandwiches (PB&J, fluff, Nutella, lunch meats, tuna, leftovers, grilled cheese). Leftover soup, and canned chili (I made a bunch).
- Popcorn, pre-fab chips, bars, and junk in the snack container, yogurt with jam, fruit. Baba ganoush and /veggies.
Sunday: Fettuccini Alfredo with a salad.
- Never buy this sauce. Here’s the recipe:
- Melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add 2-3 tsp flour and stir a bit to make a roux. (That’s French for “don’t burn the flour”).
- Slowly add in a bit of milk and/or cream (I start with milk slowly, whisking so it doesn’t clump up.
- Add about a cup to a cup and a half of parm (thanks to Gwen for noticing I left the main ingredient out of the recipe).
- Then, I finish with a heart attack’s worth of cream. Make this a the consistency of a thin sauce. Heat to just before boiling.
Monday: Chicken from the freezer with garlic mashed potatoes. If you baked extra chicken in Week One, use that. Otherwise,
Tuesday: Sausage, Peppers, and onions on a grinder
- Fry up some hot or sweet sausage with some onions and peppers. Put this on a bun and melt some cheese under the broiler–mozzarella or provolone.
Wednesday: Broccoli and cheese soup.
- Frittatas are entirely flexible. decided on the flavor. Let’s see what speaks to me. I’m guessing caramelized onions, mushrooms, zucchini and… lots of cheese.
- Pizza night. I could make Italian bread pizzas with homemade sauce or… if the boy whines, we could order it, too.