These might very well be the best pancakes in the world. It’s my recipe, probably stolen in my twenties, then I changed it to make it my own.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar (optional).
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp almond and/or vanilla extract (definitely make your own vanilla and keep a jar handy!)
- Optional: chocolate chips, home-dehydrated apple slices, blueberries
- Mix the ingredients together. Get all the lumps out, though nothing says “I love you” more than a big mouthful of baking powder.
- Preheat cast iron skillets. It’s best if you can get two or three going. Make this a production line Henry Ford would be proud of.
- Butter and cook up the pancakes.
- Eat some. Freeze the rest.
- Maple syrup–don’t get the cheap stuff.
- Blueberry sauce
- Powdered sugar.
COST: $ Cheap and filling. Unless… you go crazy with the toppings. Maple syrup is $$$$. Don’t let that deter you. It’s delicious. There’s nothing worse than corn syrup with food coloring pretending to be a worthy topping for these beautiful pancakes!
Leave out the vanilla, almond extract and sugar. Use these as a breakfast (or lunch) sandwich. These can be really versatile. They freeze well. Make once, eat for two weeks!