Split pea is for me!
If you’re a vegetarian like me, you’re outgunned at a barbecue. I don’t want to stand by the chip bowl, seeing if I can get away with a double-dip, and I really don’t like the frozen hockey puck burgers.
I started to experiment. This is a fantastic recipe adapted from a recipe by Alton Brown.
Five-Cent Veggie Burgers
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3 cups water or broth
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 c split peas
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 c bread crumbs (or so)
- Butter or olive oil
- Sauté onions in butter or olive oil. Add garlic.
- Add rice, split peas, spices, and broth or water.
- Cook until rice is cooked and not crunchy.
- When it’s cooked, mash in a food processor–add 1/2 to 3/4 cups of bread crumbs (until it’s a burger consistency).
- Form into burger patties.
- Bread with the remaining bread crumbs and fry in butter or olive oil.
FOOD FREAK OPTIONS:
- Vegan: use oil for frying and sautéing.
- Vegetarian: This one’s vegetarian
- Carnivore: I guess you could chuck some sausage in this, but that’s not the point of this burger. It’s for the rest of us.
- Keto: Nope. You’re out of luck this time.
- Gluten Free: Sub out the bread crumbs. I’ve used almond flour to hold this together. Skip the bun.
COST: $ (Nearly free)