I’m buried in Swiss Chard. It’s time to eat some greens! I love this, which is good because I’m going to be eating it for the rest of the summer.
Swiss Chard & Mushrooms
- Swiss chard
- olive oil
- optional: butter
- Add some oil to a large frying pan.
- Chop the Swiss chard into two piles–stems and leaves. Start to sauté the stems first.
- In about 5 minutes, add the leaves and mushrooms.
- Sauté a few more minutes, then add some fresh garlic (minced, chopped, or squished) and salt.
- Your chard is probably still hard. If so, add a couple tablespoons of water, cover with a lid, and let it steam on low for a bit until it’s not hard.
This dish is even better if you have the time to cook the mushrooms separately. Sauté them in butter and add them into the Swiss chard after it’s nearly ready.
COST: $ Nearly free. I grew the Swiss chard and bought the mushrooms. Swiss chard’s everywhere in the summer. You should definitely plant this.
GLUTEN FREE: Yes.
VEGAN: Yes–if you skip the butter-sautéd mushroom option.
INSTANT POT: You can, using sauté, but this’ll be easier with a big frying pan.
COOK AHEAD: This will freeze well, but is much better fresh.