- Swap food days.
- Make extras–double or triple batches of things that freeze well.
- Preserve food in season so you’ve got it on hand.
- Prep food all at once–if you’re using a bunch of onions, cut them. If you need grated cheese often, buy a block and grate it at once, etc.
- Keep a deep enough pantry to make any of these basic things without going to the store.
- Choice of the following: eggs (boiled, fried, omelet), pancakes (make a stack for the week and freeze). kefir, yogurt, or cereal.
- Sandwiches (PB&J, lunchmeat, grilled cheese available daily), egg salad, salads (prepped once for the week in a large tupperware container)
- Available today: Chocolate chip cookies, yogurt with fruit or maple, hummus & chopped veggies (carrots, cukes, snow peas, and zucchini).
Monday: Roasted Chicken, garlicky green beans, baked potatoes (extra points for topping them with cheese or sauted mushrooms and onions.
- PRO TIP: Never roast one chicken at a time. Roast two or three. Then, break them down and freeze them in meal-sized portions. Or, go for the chicken quarters and fill your oven. Use extra chicken during the week as an ingredient in dishes like Risotto, chicken salad, soup, or quesadillas.
Tuesday: Leftover soup & Greek salad
- Salad: tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, onion, mushrooms, feta cheese.
- Dressing: ¼ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup water, ½ cup olive oil. Add ½ tsp garlic powder, onion powder, some salt, and dried or fresh oregano.
Wednesday: Chicken risotto & mushroom risotto
- Saute diced onions, celery, carrots.
- Add garlic and mushrooms.
- Saute until browned. I use butter and olive oil. You can use either.
- Add arborio rice (about a cup) and toast for a couple minutes.
- Then, add broth and stir slowly into the risotto until it’s as soft or al dente as you want. Gordon Ramsey does this better. He measures. I just add and stir.
- When the rice is done, add a couple handfuls (translation: “whatever you want”) of grated parm or other leftover cheeses.
- Add the chicken. I split this in half and leave some vegetarian.
- Optional: Swap meats, add other veggies.
Thursday: Mock eggrolls: Recipe: Cabbage & egg stir fry
Friday: Quesadilla Night
- Think outside the box…This doesn’t have to be cheddar cheese on a tortilla. Go nuts!
- Mozzarella, tomato, basil
- Bleu cheese, mushrooms, and caramelized onion.
- American cheese and bacon
[Check back–I’ll link more simple and tasty recipes back to this menu]